YAO. These are legit one of my favorite cookies. It’s my recipe. MAH RECIPE. That’s right, yo girl been takin’ notes and makin’ recipes to please this tummy of hers when the winds of the pms gods start to blow. I’ve been perfecting the recipe for years and will admit it’s Levain inspired but in the end, it’s not a Levain cookie. It’s MAH cookie and I’m pretty proud of it. The game changer is the cream cheese which adds moisture and fat to keep to the oats and flour chewy in the center. The brown butter gives it a nutty flavor (that’s what she said) and golden, crunchy exterior. I think it’s the perfect hybrid between cookie and scone. Let’s call it a “scookie”.
I’m going to list the ingredients below and upload my video in case you want to see me make this thing in action. Full disclaimer that the flour and oat measurements are in grams…when I figure out the cups I’ll update and make the edits pero like…get a scale.
- 288g flour
- 148g of rolled oats ( you can also use quick oats)
- 3 sticks of butter for brown butter ( use 2 sticks and grate thoroughly if you want to use cold butter instead)
- 1 stick or 1/2 cup of cream cheese
- 2 eggs at room temp
- 100g or 1/2 cup of sugar
- 110g or 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cardamon
- 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of almond extract
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of cranberries
- 1/2 cup of almond slices
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
1. Cut up your sticks of butter into cubes and heat up a small saucepan. Stir and melt butter over medium heat until the butter turns a gold amber color. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Mix all of your dry ingredients thoroughly and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, add both sugars, brown butter and cream cheese. Mix until everything becomes a creamy, homogenous mixture
4. Add your eggs one at at a time, until thoroughly mixed , add vanilla and almond extract.
5. Add your dry ingredients and mix until flour is absorbed and the dough is creamy.
6. Add cranberries, almond slices and white chocolate chips, cover and place in the fridge to chill over night. ( You can also place in the freezer for 2 hours)
7. Once the dough has chilled, bring it out and allow to thaw or warm up so it’s easier to scoop. Place an oven rack in the center and preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
8. Scoop the dough using a large ice cream/ cookie scoop and place cookies about 2 inches apart. You can also roll the dough into your hands. Portion should be a little smaller than a tennis ball.
9. Place into the oven and set timer for 8 minutes. Once the time is up, drop the temperate to 325 degrees and bake for another 12 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack.